Exploding transformer sparks West Linton blackout
AROUND 400 homes and businesses in Peeblesshire were left without electricity this week after a telegraph pole caught fire near West Linton.
Scottish Power has apologised for the power failure on Tuesday, November 20.
A fault with a transformer has been blamed for the blaze which broke out shortly after midday.
Firefighters from West Linton were called out to extinguish the fire in the town's Station Road.
Most homes and businesses had their power restored by 2pm. However, around 80 properties, believed to be in the Rommano Bridge and outlying areas, had to wait until 2am the following day before being reconnected to the electricity network.
Scottish Power revealed it was investigating whether the fault was weather related. A spokesperson for the electricity company said: "We would like to apologise to customers for any inconvenience."
This article appeared in Peeblesshire News 06 Dec 12
Peeblesshire News Poll
Should planning application be given the go ahead at Rosetta Caravan Park to build 175 new houses?
This Poll is now closed.