Whitecraigs 13

Biggar 22

BIGGAR returned from freezing Glasgow with a bonus point win - but they were made to sweat for it.

In difficult conditions – especially after the break when the play was tight and the backs were very rarely employed in the game – Biggar conceded an early penalty before crossing for the first try after some 20 minutes.

The Whitecraigs penalty was their sole visit to the Biggar half in this opening spell.

On another occasion an inside pass from Jardine might have led to a score albeit the chip to the corner gave Biggar good field position from where they struck.

A penalty award was eschewed for a scrum and with the Biggar pack largely dominant, skipper Andrew Dunlop who had a good afternoon plunged over for a score on the touchline. Jardine hit the upright with the long range conversion.

There was precious little time between the first and second scores, Dunlop picking up from a similar range and situation. Jardine slotted the conversion for a 12-3 lead.

Biggar should probably have kicked on from there but instead Whitecraigs came back into the match.

A soft score was conceded after Biggar gave away ground with silly penalties. With the big Whitecraigs runners making inroads a thirrd penalty close to the line saw the Biggar defence wanting and Pollock crashed over for a try.

The conversion was unsuccessful, but with a strike rate of two scores from two visits to the Biggar 22, the hosts were setting out their stall.

Inroads were made early in the second half before a penalty was awarded.

Taking a leaf from the Whitecraigs book, Jardine tapped and ran from the 10 metre line, his mazy run taking him through the initial defence from where he was able to free Alisdair Sinclair who crossed for another try.

Biggar gave away field position on the kick off and a couple of phases later and the big ‘Craigs prop Ross McDonald crashed over from short range for a try to make the score 17-13.

With just one score in the game and well over a half hour to go Biggar needed to score next. That they couldn’t do that until the match was almost done was a real frustration.

Errors meant that Biggar were unable to add to their tally until, that is, Jardine popped a cross field kick onto the wing where Craig McDonald was able to touch down.

The conversion was again missed but the bonus point was secured – time for the dressing room and a warm shower!

There were good performances from Jamie Orr, Ewan Stewart and Andrew Dunlop while David Paterson looked full of running when he got the ball.

Biggar: David McArthur, Alistair Sinclair, Robbie Lavery, Gregor Stewart, David Paterson, Aird Jardine, David Reive (C), Donald Voas, Ewan Stewart, Dan O'Connell, Zander Lyon, Jamie Orr, Duncan Withers, Ross Jackson, Douglas Notman. Reps: Ewan Sanderson, Andrew Orr, Calvin Henderson, Craig McDonald .