Hawick United 1

Biggar United 0

David Knox at Runciman Park

JUBILANT manager George Shepherd got his hands on a fourth trophy this season as his team battled against Biggar to edge the Forsyth final on Saturday.

The gaffer had already steered his stars to the B League title as well as the Walls and Waddell cups.

While he was quick to admit Saturday’s narrow victory wasn’t a classic, Shepherd said: “We already had the three trophies in the bag and we had the momentum to get us through that final and beat a good Biggar team.

“We’ve had a big squad of players and every one of them has done their bit this season.

“I am delighted that we are back in the A Division and to have also won three cups.”

Despite having already lost to Hawick on their four previous meetings this season it was Biggar who looked the most likely during the opening half hour of the final.

Stuart Ferguson could maybe have done better than head Callum McIntyre’s deep cross a foot wide after 14 minutes.

And Tom Robertson should have at least hit the target four minutes later after finding space inside the area to blast well over.

Man-of-the-match David Strathdee made a vital interception to prevent Euan Waddell’s low cross finding two unmarked Biggar players in front of goal.

And only a tremendous save from Dean Fry denied Stuart Smith firing Biggar in front on the half hour.

But battle-hardened Hawick know how to win games and when the chance came on 35 minutes they took it.

A deep cross from the right wasn’t cleared and Daniel Bolton took full advantage to fire home from close range.

The goal turned the final in Hawick’s favour with Kevin Strathdee and Ross Scott both going close before the break.

Two magnificent saves from Joe Robinson prevented both Bolton and Liam Lavery doubling the Teries' advantage around the hour.

And the well-orchestrated defending from David Strathdee and Colin Turnbull prevented the South Lanarkshire team from grabbing a late equaliser.

Biggar substitute Alan Brown was given a sniff of the goal on 81 minutes but he headed well wide.

And Hawick saw out the final reasonably comfortable to end a memorable season on yet another high.

Hawick United. D Fry, R Wallace, R Shepherd, D Strathdee, C Turnbull, D Hogg, R Scott, D Bolton, K Strathdee, A Swailes & L Lavery. Subs. C Richardson, T Storrie, J Wallace, D Sight & S McFarlane.

Biggar United. J Robinson, D Shearer, N McCreedie, R Gibb, A Henderson, D Scott, T Robertson, C McIntyre, S Ferguson, E Waddell & S Smith. Subs. J Roberts, G Brunton, S Gray & A Brown.