Tweedmouth Rangers 2

Peebles Rovers 3

Neil Hobson at Old Shielfield

PEEBLES Rovers returned from across the border with back-to-back wins after defeating Tweedmouth in Berwick.

Goals from Alan McMath, Colin Smith and David Lindsay secured the win for the Rovers on a bright day in Northumberland, with gaffer Ger Rossi delighted at his side’s progress this season.

He said: “It was a bit tricky at times, but we got there in the end at what is a very difficult place to come.

“I’m obviously frustrated with losing those two goals, but we showed a lot of character to hang onto the game and hold out for the points. We’re making progress with a young team but we’re definitely moving forward.”

Rovers dominated the early exchanges at Shielfield, with Rossi’s team swiftly taking control of the midfield as they restricted Tweedmouth’s ability to move the ball.

David Lindsay and Ross Forrest both saw chances vanish into the gloves of Allan in the Rangers goal, with Rovers relentless in attack.

Such an intense attacking onslaught inevitably led to the first goal on 25 minutes as McMath, once again utilising his natural pace, burst clear of his marker to go one-on-one before tucking the ball away.

Capitalising on their lead, Rovers made their dominance clear as they scored just 3 minutes later, with goal-bound attempt from 10-yards deflected in off the leg of Kieran Cromarty.

It came as little surprise to see the Rovers dominate proceedings, but the bigger shock was how they didn’t grab more: with Forrest, Lindsay and McMath again seeing chances go astray.

The second-half was a stark contrast to the first, with Rovers unable to maintain such a high attacking intensity for the second 45.

Barely a minute had gone before Rangers pulled one back after Kieran Cromarty pounced on a Buster Briggs through ball, with the Tweedmouth captain free to stab the ball past Hanratty courtesy of some slack marking at the back post.

Rovers wobbled, with some timid defending opening up a previously solid defensive backbone.

Rangers wasted no time in exploiting this, as the home side scored again on 55 minutes to equalise with Hanratty producing a stunning save to deny a long range Cromarty effort, but Craig Walker was on hand to roll the ball over the line.

Peebles needed to get ball down and play again, and with introduction of Zavaroni, Schulz-Keith and Ray Fleming from the bench, they regained control and rightly got their rewards when Rossi fired a dangerous cross across the face of goal.

Lindsay aggressively attacked this cross at the back post to bullet in the headed winner off underside of the bar on 76 minutes.

Rangers were unable to respond for the rest of the match.