AN RAF junior recruit who admitted assaulting a police officer following a major disturbance outside a Borders pub has been ordered to pay a total of £640.

Matt Patterson, 20, who gave an address in Eyemouth, pleaded guilty at Jedburgh Sheriff Court to charges of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner and police assault.

But a not guilty plea to being in possession of a class A drug was accepted by the Crown.

Miriam Clark, prosecuting, said around 25 patrons were in various degrees of intoxication at around 10pm on Christmas Eve inside the Contented Sole licensed premises in Eyemouth, with a group of males involved in a disturbance including Patterson.

Ms Clark said: "The staff member on duty took action and ejected them all.

"Police officers on patrol heard shouting and swearing outside the premises and observed people involved in an ongoing disturbance.

"Several police units were dispatched to deal with the incident.

"The accused adopted an aggressive attitude towards one police officer and was told to desist but he continued to be verbally abusive.

"He approached the officer with a clenched fist and tried to punch him twice to the face.

"It was a deliberate attempt and the officer took hold of the accused and got him to the ground.

"He continued lashing out at the constable as he lay on the ground.

"Several associates of the accused gathered round and the accused was told to desist but continued to be unruly."

Ms Clark said Patterson was arrested by officers who discovered an RAF identification card on him but he replied: ‘I don't give a f***.’

"He was taken to Hawick Police Station where the usual procedures were carried out,” Ms Clark said. 

Defence lawyer Mat Patrick said: "Simply, he had too much to drink.

"He had been out with friends since 3pm and his recollection is not clear. A fight was started by others but he does not remember too much about it."

Patterson, who is a first offender, had gone through training with the RAF and is awaiting a posting.

Mr Patrick said Patterson will be subject to internal disciplinary procedures within the RAF but added it was fortunate no-one suffered any injuries during the incident.

Patterson was fined £300 for threatening or abusive behaviour and another £300 for the police assault. A £40 victim surcharge was also imposed.