A SELKIRK man threatened to kill police officers in a drunken disturbance, the town’s sheriff court has been told.

Andrew Stewart, 33, of Montrose Place, pleaded guilty to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner, possessing an offensive weapon and assaulting a police officer by spitting on him on October 31, 2021.

Fiona Hamilton, prosecuting, said police were called to a street in Selkirk shortly after 9pm after being told Stewart had been the victim of an assault.

She explained: “He was lying on the pavement with an injury and was heavily intoxicated. He was immediately hostile to the police and was shouting and swearing towards them. While waiting for an ambulance he continued shouting and swearing at them and he was then arrested and handcuffed to the front.

“He continued to struggle with officers but was eventually detained and taken to Borders General Hospital.

READ MORE: Go-ahead given for Galashiels gym to be converted into office space

“He kicked and punched the cell van for the duration of the journey. On arrival at the hospital the accused continued to shout and swear so much so that he was not able to enter the hospital.

“A doctor came into the police vehicle at 10.15pm but he continued to be abusive towards police and medical staff.

“The doctor said he would return when the accused had calmed down. But the accused then made several threats to kill police officers and told them he was Hepatitis C positive.

“He urinated within the cell van and was rubbing his genitals inside the vehicle.”

Ms Hamilton said the doctor returned and treated Stewart for an eyebrow injury.

But Stewart continued to be disruptive smearing his own blood on the vehicle’s cage.

The officers then heard a metallic object drop on the floor of the vehicle and it was found to be a Stanley knife.

READ MORE: Borders couple convicted of child cruelty charge ordered to be of good behaviour

Stewart then spat at a police constable.

Defence lawyer Stephanie Clinkscale said the purpose for having the blade was because he was thinking of self-harming and no other reason.

She added: “He does accept full responsibility and makes no attempt to minimise his actions and extends his apologies to the officers. He has significant issues for substance misuse and alcohol.”

The lawyer said that Stewart had managed to abstain for eight months after attending a residential rehabilitation programme before lapsing.

She proposed a Drug Treatment and Testing Order assessment be carried out.

Sheriff Peter Paterson said the behaviour at the hospital and towards the police would merit being sent to jail immediately but noted the offences dated back to 2021.

He said custody was still uppermost in the court’s mind but deferred sentence until June 27 to allow the assessment to take place.