BACKGROUND reports have been ordered into a 45-year-old man who caused a disturbance at the Galashiels Transport Interchange.

Jamie Wilkinson pleaded guilty to shouting and swearing and uttering threats of violence on January 21 and being in possession of an offensive weapon, namely a sharp pointed piece of wood.

Fiona Hamilton, prosecuting, told Selkirk Sheriff Court that witnesses were working at the Interchange shortly before 1pm when Wilkinson was observed walking across the bus parking area which is not permitted for pedestrians.

She said: “The accused was confronted and told this was not allowed and the worker formed the view that the accused was intoxicated.

READ MORE: Bomb disposal team called to Borders property after ‘suspect materials’ found

“He ignored this and entered the Interchange and headed for the 68 bus where he was abusive to the driver and started making false allegations about another bus driver. He was shouting at the driver all the time and was asked to go away.

“The accused went back into the Interchange and was shouting he could stand where he wants. He was then seen to have an object in his hand. The worker said it was an attempt by the accused to intimidate him. The object appeared to be a sharply pointed wooden stick. He was swinging the object around and was saying, ‘I have got mates and we will wait for you to come off shift and stab you,’ and continued to swing it around. The civilians were subjected to this behaviour in the course of their employment.”

The police were called and Wilkinson “made no sensible reply” to being cautioned and charged.

Defence lawyer Liam Alexander accepted his client had a long record of previous convictions but had kept out of trouble recently apart from “a wee blip”.

READ MORE: Appeal launched against council refusal of Borders housing development

He said Wilkinson was employed as a joiner which explained why he was in possession of the pointed stick which he used in his employment. Mr Alexander said Wilkinson had fallen out with his mother and alcohol had been consumed. He added that he was still riled from the fall-out when he entered the Interchange.

Wilkinson, of Bongate, Jedburgh, had sentence deferred for background reports until May 29.

The court heard he had been unable to complete a community payback order involving unpaid work which had been an alternative to a fine after being convicted of four offences.

Wilkinson was instead fined £600 which he will pay at £80 a month.