Biggar 34

GHK 10

Al Stewart at Hartree Mill

THE frustration felt after last Saturday’s disappointment at Dumfries was banished as Biggar blasted GHK to record a valuable bonus point win.

To make things even more interesting Dumfries lost to Hamilton and so the clubs vying for second spot are now once again separated by just a handful of points.

Despite the quick thaw and the torrential rain of Tuesday the Biggar pitches were in remarkably good condition although overhead conditions with a biting, blustery wind having a considerable impact on the proceedings.

The match was fast and furious as expected, GHK playing against the elements and opting again to run the ball at every opportunity.

Biggar opened the scoring on 10 minutes after a couple of penalties were taken as scrums and as Biggar set out their stall in the tight.

It was Orr at No8 who took and went blind to score, his bulk and power aided by the support of at least three other Biggar players. Green added the conversion for 7-0.

Biggar enjoyed the lion's share of possession and they should have increased their tally but for passing errors or over complication of running angles.

GHK escaped further punishment therefore, until that is Biggar gained another attacking position in their 22.

After a couple of line drives which GHK held, a Biggar scrum drive saw referee Ormiston run to the posts to award the penalty try.

Biggar’s cause was not aided by a yellow card shown to Jamie Orr for a tip tackle and then an injury to hooker Ewan Stewart.

And only other score in the half fell to GHK, a loose pass on the Biggar 10 metre line gifting possession to centre Danny Campbell who needed no invitation to sprint clear of the cover to dot down for the try.

The wind played havoc with conversions into the wind and with Campbell’s conversion attempt off target, the half came to a close with Biggar ahead at 14-5.

There were many Biggar supporters who feared that this 5 point lead would not be sufficient and that Biggar would have a tough time when GHK had the wind on their backs.

As it turned out it, was the side playing against the elements that played best.

A number of penalties threatened initially to trouble Biggar’s attack but these came to nought.

Still in their own 22 Biggar then took a leaf from GHK’s book and ran ball out of defence.

A Jackson pick up took ball infield before Davy Reive switched play back to the blindside, Stewart providing the link to Green whose quick off-load found Bradford. The winger made ground then popped the ball to Orr who immediately transferred the ball back inside to Lavery who ran from the GHK 10 for an excellent score.

From wide out there was little or no chance of the conversion but nevertheless Biggar were now two scores clear at 19-5.

The home team attacked again from the restart putting together a series of 21 phases when nearly every player made a contribution of some sort with Renwick almost getting to the line before a quick transfer from Green to Lavery gave the fullback just enough room to creep in at the corner for his second try of the afternoon.

A fantastic team try and crucially the try bonus point secured.

This was soon to become 29-5 as with the bit between their teeth and with all again running angles well, Biggar engineered an attacking position from a penalty kick to touch some five metres out.

A shortened lineout and a successful take from skipper Alan Warnock led to a line drive and with Orr in the van the lock crashed over for the try.

Blair Forsyth dived over for GHK's second try a few minutes later.

But any thoughts of a late comeback were soon put to bed when Rowan Stewart raced in on his debut to make it 34-10.

Biggar: D. O’Connell, A. Orr, C. Henderson, J. Orr, A. Warnock, A. Orr, E. Sanderson, R. Jackson, D. Reive, C. Green, I. Renwick, R. Moffat, R. Lavery, R. Bradford, C. Lavery Reps: A. Peacock, G. Stewart, A. Jardine, R. Stewart