Peebles 19

Preston Lodge 15

Allan Beveridge

at The Gytes

PATIENCE is a virtue few rugby supporters command.

But those sporting the red and white scarves of Peebles on Saturday were rewarded for their wait with a stunning last-gasp try.

Not only did Callum Anderson's score steal victory for the hosts, it also takes them to second top of National Division Two.

On an almost perfect afternoon for running rugby Preston Lodge put in an impressive first half.

Their big forwards had the ability to retain and recycle ball and their three-quarters showed that when the opportunity arose they could run and pass.

It was only good fortune and the visitors' decisions to run penalties that Peebles didn't trail by more at half time.

Preston Lodge opened the scoring on eight minutes after a sustained period of forwards play and possession.

When the ball was eventually spun wide winger Alex Clarke touched down in the corner.

The Peebles restart failed to travel the required 10 metres so the pressure resumed almost immediately.

Midway through the half Preston Lodge went further ahead with a Scott Clark penalty.

Peebles finally began to put some phases together as half-time loomed and from a loose ball out wide Murray Brown managed to sprint all of 60 metres to touch down.

Donald Anderson took the Pees to within a point with the conversion.

But in the minutes which ticked down to the half-time whistle it was Preston Lodge yet again who were doing all of the pressing.

Despite conceding a couple of penalties five metres from the line Peebles held out as surge after surge came in.

The interval team talk by Peebles really worked as they began to build their own attacks in the second half.

David Collins, who had only just come on as a replacement, put Peebles in front with his first touch.

The replacement left winger went over in the right hand corner after good work by Murray Brown.

But the lead wasn't to last long.

Only a few minutes later, with the home side attacking, Lodge's Blair Robertson intercepted a loose pass in his own 22 and sprinted to score under the Peebles posts.

Clark's conversion made it 12-15 for the visitors.

Only a terrific covering tackle by Collins prevented Preston Lodge increasing their advantage after another interception.

Peebles began to get on top, though, as scrum after scrum was won against the head in the final 20 minutes.

But time was ticking away and with just five minutes left on the clock Preston Lodge's defence was holding firm.

Peebles were awarded a penalty in their own half, which Donald Anderson drilled into touch inside the visitors' 22.

As the seconds were being counted down on the touchlines, the Peebles pack set up a driving maul from the lineout.

Despite being stopped a couple of metres short, scrum half Wills fed Donald Anderson who presented a shot pass to his brother, Callum, for a neat side-step to just reach the line.

Donald converted with the final kick of the game for the 19-15 win.

While Preston Lodge can feel aggrieved at losing, Peebles must be congratulated on their never-say-die attitude.