Stewarts Melville 22

Peebles 7

Allan Beveridge

at Inverleith

THIS was a disappointing afternoon when nothing much went right for Peebles.

For a number of years Inverleith has been a barren hunting ground for the Gytes men - and Saturday's clash lived up to its pre-match billing.

This wasn't just a loss but it was the first occasion this season where Peebles have failed to pick up a single point.

There was also a nasty injury for Ruairidh Britton just before the half hour which required hospital treatment.

However his injuries weren't as bad as initially anticipated and he'll be back in action in a few weeks.

The game started with Stewart's Melville racing into a third minute lead through Alex Wainwright.

The flanker finished off a swift passing move to score, and Adam Greig added the conversion.

A Greig penalty on the quarter hour gave the home side a 10-0 lead.

The game did level out after the initial scoring with Peebles starting to make inroads.

But the injury to Britton on 29 minutes led to play being held up for 12 minutes.

And once the match resumed, the referee bizarrely blew for half time.

It was annoying for Peebles as they were on top during the exchanges prior to the injury and didn't have a chance to narrow the 10-point lead before the interval.

The Gytes men had to wait until midway through the second period before finally registering a score.

A good, flowing passing movement allowed Connor Blyth to race towards the line but as he cut inside a tackler managed to prevent him going over the line.

From the resultant penalty Peebles twice opted to scrum and both times the Stew Melville's pack stood up, leading to the award of a penalty try.

With Peebles back in the game, they were dealt a bitter blow with ten minutes remaining.

Home winger Somerville managed to race round the visiting defence to score in the corner.

And Greig found his range from out wide to make the score 17-7.

With just a couple of minutes left on the clock Stewart's Melville added a further try.

Peebles were in possession inside their own 22 when the ball was dropped almost on the line and Struan Allan reacted for to touch down.

Although the conversion was missed there was no way back for Peebles with the game ending 22-7.

Looking for positives from a disappointing game, Peebles can take heart from their smaller and lighter pack being on top in both the loose and in the scrum.

This weekend Peebles are at home against Howe of Fife.

The game kicks off at 3pm.