Biggar 61

Al Stewart

at Old Annielsland

BIGGAR’S tenth consecutive win – a record as far as we can tell – came at the expense of Glasgow side GHK.

The eventual 9-1 score included another four for winger Rowan Stewart, whose league total now stands at 18 from 10 games (another record we think) and which elevates him to the top try scorer for the club... ever!

With conditions much better than had been forecast Biggar began against the breeze.

As expected, and with a reputation for running ball through the backs, GHK opened strongly moving ball at every opportunity, but, as other sides have found to their cost, Biggar’s defence was pretty much rock solid.

Biggar opened the scoring after 11 minutes with Ross Bradford exploited space out wide to dot down.

Mathew Stewart converted this try and Biggar’s second from Rowan Stewarts a short time later.

Not to be outdone GHK managed an excellent score of their own, this after a midfield pass went astray between Lavery and Matthew Stewart. Quick to counter GHK moved the ball to the left where a neat off load from Campbell saw Wintersgill gather to cross under the posts for a try, converted by Kyle Henderson.

Ten minutes later and Biggar added a third score.

Ryan Moffat made good yards through the centre before creating a ruck deep in the GHK 22.

Possession retained, ball was moved right to Conor lavery who then popped the ball back to Rowan Stewart who crashed over.

Matthew Stewart added the conversion, then departed the field with a thigh injury.

The second half was a much more productive period for Biggar as the GHK effort began to falter.

Given the strength of Biggar’s defence this was perhaps not surprising.

Ewan Stewart swept up a loose pass from GHK and with great vision popped the ball to Bradford who ran in from half way.

Conor Lavery took over the kicking duties and added the two points.

Biggar’s fifth try was scored by replacement scrum half Iain Renwick.

Lavery duly obliged with the conversion.

A better period for GHK saw them in the Biggar 22 but a turnover led to another Biggar counter and try by Robbie Orr.

Lavery again added the conversion.

Biggar added another two tries in quick succession – the first from Rowan Stewart and the next from Lewis Stewart.

The five-minute double led to a relative lull in the action as the game drifted towards full time.

There was room for one more try however, this falling to Rowan Stewart. Conor Lavery put in a well-judged cross kick which the winger failed to catch but nevertheless managed to knock down to the ever-present Jamie Orr. The big man promptly returned the ball to the winger wio dived over for the final try, converted again by Lavery for the 61 point total.

Coaches Davy Wilson and Doug Fleming were not particularly overjoyed by the first half performance but with another win, and another bonus point, there is not much room for over-criticism.

The week ahead will be devoted to preparations for the next big test, and they don’t come much bigger than a home match against local rivals Peebles.

Please note that this match kicks off at 12.30pm.

Biggar: R. Lavery, R. Bradford, M. Stewart, R. Moffat, R. Stewart, C. Lavery, D. Reive, D. Voas, E. Stewart, F. Carossi, Z. Lyon, A. Peacock, E. Sanderson, C. Mulligan, J. Orr

Reps: I. Renwick, G. Stewart, L. Stewart, R. Orr