Biggar 7

Peebles 10

Al Stewart and Allan Beveridge

at Hartree Mill

THERE was something inevitable that Peebles would be the team to end Biggar's remarkable unbeaten start to the season.

As much as Saturday's result will disappoint the home club, with their lead at the top being trimmed to four points, it was the shot in the arm the visitors needed as they cling to slim hopes of promotion.

Peebles, as anticipated, came out of the traps at full pace and Biggar, on the back foot and in defensive mode from the start, conceded a couple of penalties.

The first attempt after just three minutes was pulled left by Donald Anderson.

The Pees had another opportunity to break the deadlock just a few minutes later as the Harrison brothers, Richard and Jack, combined to send Lewis Mclennan into the 22 but the ball was knocked on.

But Biggar showed why they are flying high in the 20th minute as Ross Jackson burst through the Peebles defence - and only an excellent tackle by Ruairidh Britton prevented a likely score.

And with two quickfire yellow cards to the Harrison brothers reducing Peebles to 13 players, the hosts took full advantage.

Quick ball moved left found the Peebles defence up to the mark but when ball was switched back to the right Robbie Lavery cleverly created space to draw two defenders before slipping the ball to the supporting Donald Voas who ran in almost unopposed.

Conor Lavery added the conversion to make the score 7-0.

There was time for the restart and as Biggar transgressed at scrum time, this a first penalty of what was to become many, Peebles were offered another kicking opportunity.

Greg Raeburn's kick hit the post and was gathered up by Robbie Orr who then dispatched the ball to touch for half time.

Playing now towards the clubhouse Biggar had hoped to kick on but from the outset Peebles adopted a pick and drive ploy which was effective in retaining possession and in gaining ground.

In addition the Gytes men regained full strength with the return of the Harrison brothers.

But it was Biggar who almost extended the advantage with Gregor Stewart chipping neatly over the Peebles defence for his brother Rowan to run on to. Jack Harrison and Donald Anderson provided enough cover to prevent the try.

Lavery had a chance to create some breathing space but the ball was pulled left of the post.

And a short time later Robbie Orr off-loaded to Rowan Stewart who crossed in the corner, but the home joy was short-lived as referee O’Neill deemed the pass to have been forward.

But the game swung following a brawl which led to Biggar being penalised.

The home team conceded further penalties as Peebles increased the pressure - and it wasn't long until Jamie Orr was shown a yellow card.

The damage to the Biggar scrum was considerable and at the scrum restart Peebles drove Biggar back over their line, with referee O’Neill having no hesitation in awarding a penalty try.

With the scores locked at 7-7 with ten minutes to go it was all to play for.

As the minutes ticked by there was a certain inevitability about the outcome.

A squint Biggar throw at a defensive lineout presented Peebles with scrum.

And with the home defence penalised again it was left to Raeburn to kick the winning penalty with only three minutes remaining.