Stewarts Melville 0

Biggar 31

Al Stewart at Inverleith

BIGGAR kicked off up the ‘slope’ and faced an initial onslaught, which saw Biggar pressed into defensive roles.

Some really good defence and a big scrum saw Biggar gain territory and it seemed a burst to the line from Robbie Lavery would open the scoring but at the last possible moment the ball was knocked from his grasp.

Another good scrum saw Stew Mel struggle to break free and Biggar regrouped to make an assault on the home line.

Conor Lavery took the ball going right and put in a neat grubber behind the Stew Mel backs, Ross Bradford winning the chase for the first try which Matthew Stewart converted for 7-0.

The game at this stage was broken and scrappy as both teams made errors, these due to the slippy conditions underfoot.

Biggar were under some pressure but this they dealt with pretty well.

As it was Biggar began to gain more ground and just after the half hour they struck again.

A good attacking position was won from a penalty from Conor Lavery. Matthew Stewart, Voas and Ross Jackson combined well to take play to the Stew Mel 22.

Ball was recycled and pressure maintained via a driving run from Jamie Orr.

With quick ruck ball provided a pop pass to Euan Sanderson saw him crash over from five metres for a score.

Matthew Stewart duly converted the try to put Biggar into a 14-0 lead.

Stew Mel came back from the restart but Biggar were able to hold their line intact after Warnock took a good lineout off the hosts possession.

The second half couldn’t have had a better start for Biggar as in what was their first attack an attempted break out by the Stew Mel pack saw hooker Doug Randall pass the ball directly to his opposite number Ewan Stewart who had the simple task of turning and making the five yards to the line for an opportunist score.

Stewart was just short with his conversion attempt.

Less than 10 minutes later and Biggar claimed their fourth and bonus point winning try - not something which had been given much thought in the pre-match build up.

This too came directly from a Stew Mel error and as such a bit of a gift.

Biggar have often conceded possession from lineouts in the past but they haven’t been punished just so harshly.

An overthrow and knock-down on their own lineout saw ball spilled to the ground, the ever-present flanker Chris Mulligan on hand to pounce on the ball and then make the five or so yards to the line for the try.

Stewart duly converted for 26-0.

Minutes later and a penalty gave Conor Lavery the chance to extend his side's lead but he was off target from what was a long way out.

The remainder of the contest became a little less fluid with errors again creeping into both sides' play.

Biggar’s fifth try came from series of attacks had come up against some better defence but with great vision stand off Conor Lavery put in a super cross kick which Ryan Moffat was able to take before crossing for a great score.

Lavery was just short with the conversion.

The last passage of play saw Stew Mel enjoy a bit more pressure with better possession and they forced Biggar back into defence. That Biggar kept the city side out was as big a bonus as the additional point for scoring four tries.

Biggar: R. Orr, R. Bradford, R. Lavery, M. Stewart, R. Stewart, C. Lavery, D. Reive, D. Voas, E. Stewart, G. Kelly, J. Orr, A. Warnock, E. Sanderson, C. Mulligan, R. Jackson

Reps: F. Carossi, D. Dinnen, R. Moffat, I. Renwick