Biggar 57

Howe of Fife 3

Al Stewart

at Hartree Mill

BIGGAR’S 13th win of the campaign came at the expense of Howe of Fife.

Howe have had a difficult campaign to date and indeed struggled to provide a team list until late on Friday, this due to a scarcity of front row players.

Having said that the Howe side played with great spirit and had they not lost centre Sean Murray after less than five minutes or had another couple of ball carrying forwards to support George Henderson and Chris Mann, then things might have been a tad different.

As it was Biggar contained the big pack and with a rock solid defence Howe were kept out, their solitary score coming from a Dylan Suttie penalty.

Playing into the elements Biggar nabbed an opening score after Chris Mulligan made a very typical 40 metre breenge through the Howe line.

His pop pass was grabbed by Peacock who also made great yards before off-loading to winger Ross Bradford who stepped over for the opening score.

Howe hit back through Suttie’s penalty before Robbie Orr took a scoring pass from Rowan Stewart to add Biggar’s second.

Lavery was again just wide with the kick but Biggar were 10-3 ahead.

With just over half an hour gone Biggar notched their third score, this falling to Ross Jackson who controlled the ball well at the scrum base. Lavery added the conversion for 17-3 at half time.

Biggar began the second period on the attack and while Robbie Orr just lost control of the ball as he prepared to score, the next phase saw Mulligan on hand to romp home from some 20 metres for Biggar’s bonus point winning try.

Lavery added the conversion for 24-3.

Some 15 minutes into the half and prop Donald Voas managed to get on the score sheet again with a typically low driving burst for the line. Lavery added the two points and Biggar were 31-3 up.

Dinnen was next on the score sheet, the big back rower crashing over from 10 metres out after Biggar took ball off the Howe put in. Lavery converted.

The next Biggar attack was halted by Howe fullback Jack Todd who was deemed to have deliberately knocked the ball down as he attempted an interception on Biggar’s play.

Given the scoreline this seemed a tad harsh but Howe found themselves another man down.

Rowan Stewart was the next Biggar player to score - the winger benefitting from some good quick passing in the backs which created the space for him to exploit.

Although Conor Lavery was just wide with the conversion, he found the mark as Orr claimed his second try - this after he won the chase to a grubber kick from skipper for the day Robbie Lavery.

By this time conditions were becoming really tricky as the gloom descended, spectators struggling to catch the action.

This took its toll on Howe who, up against things again, botched a lineout. Ewan Stewart latched onto the loose ball and made ground before releasing Conor Lavery who crossed for the try and added the final conversion to wrap things up at 57-3.

Biggar: R. Orr, R. Bradford, R. Lavery, R. Moffat, R. Stewart, C. Lavery, I|. Renwick, D. Voas, E. Stewart, G. Kelly, A. Peacock, A. Lyon, D. Dinnen, C. Mulligan & R. Jackson. Reps: F. Carossi, L. Stewart, G. Stewart, C. McDonald