KELTY Hearts lost further ground after being held to a goalless draw by Vale of Leithen at New Central Park.

The Innerleithen side travelled to Fife with only 11 players due to illness, injuries and suspensions.

But, even with manager Chris Anderson playing the entire 90 minutes, help Barry Fergusson's team to a goalless draw.

Anderson said: “I don’t think many people gave us much chance of picking up anything as we were short in numbers today, but we showed the battling qualities you need in this league.”

Spartans came from behind to keep their title defence alive against 10-man Gretna at Ainslie Park.

Jamie Dishington’s two second-half strikes were enough to secure the points and close in on third.

Gretna’s first half goal hero Daniel Smales was red carded after the interval.

Spartans boss Dougie Samuel said: “Gretna came here today full of confidence after a good win last week so we knew it would be tough.

“Even when they were down to ten men they still caused us problems but I thought we had created more than enough chances to win that game before we eventually got ourselves in front.

“We have a bit of catching up to do in the league but we know points will be dropped by the teams above us and all we can do is continue winning each week.”

David Proctor’s early strike at Falkirk Stadium and a last-minute Jamie Longworth goal were enough for East Kilbride to see off East Stirlingshire.

The 2-0 victory keeps Kilby four points clear at the top of the table.

BSC Glasgow kept up the pressure on the leaders with a 2-1 victory over Cumbernauld Colts at Broadwood.

Carlo Pignatiello and Declan Hughes were on target for Stephen Swift’s team.

Craig Holmes netted Cumbernauld’s consolation.

Jordan Hopkinson came off the bench to score a late winner for Civil Service Strollers against Edusport Academy.

The 28-year-old’s strike keeps Gary Jardine’s team in the top five.

Hopkinson said: “The competition for places is good here and getting a start isn’t easy.

“I’m delighted to have scored and make sure we are still in sight of the top teams.”

Stirling University bounced back from a six-goal hammering last week to beat Gala Fairydean Rovers 3-1 at Forthbank.

Craig Brown grabbed a brace with Lewis Bonnar netting the opener.

Sandy Cunningham scored Gala’s second-half consolation.

Whitehill Welfare came from behind to earn a point at Dalbeattie Star in the basement battle.

Alan Jenkins scored Star’s early goal with Kieran Sommerville equalising in the closing stages.