Falkirk 5

Biggar 46

Al Stewart at Horne Park

BIGGAR made a dream start to 2019 with a comprehensive win over hosts Falkirk.

The opening exchanges saw Falkirk enjoy good possession and territory but their first real assault on the Biggar line ended as Jamie Orr made a timely interception to take play swiftly away from the danger area.

Subsequent handling errors put the Falkirk side under further pressure although a good line drive which was Biggar’s first close encounter with the Falkirk line ended as the referee deemed the rolling maul to be a case of obstruction.

Another line drive with flanker Chris Mulligan in the van was eventually brought down but with possession retained Biggar stand off Conor Lavery drifted through the splintered Falkirk defence for a try under the posts - converted by Matthew Stewart for a 7-0 lead.

On the half hour mark Biggar doubled their lead after winger Ross Bradford glided through the Falkirk defence to set up a fine attacking position.

Matthew Stewart and Orr continued the good work which spawned ball for Lavery who freed Ross Jackson for Biggar’ second, again converted by Matthew Stewart.

Prop Donald Voas was the next to cross.

His powerful run from some 30 metres seeing the big man go round, through and over the stretched Falkirk defence for a well-deserved try in the corner.

On the stroke of half time Falkirk struck for their try. A lineout close to the Biggar try line led to a neat off load from Conor for fullback Glen to cross in the corner.

Having conceded a try just before the break, it was important from a Biggar point of view to keep Falkirk out on the resumption of play.

With less than 10 minutes of the half gone Biggar struck again to claim their fourth and bonus point winning try.

As in the first half a penalty and line drive created the position which saw Biggar camp in the Falkirk five metre area. Several attempts to cross the line were thwarted but with the defence stretched Lavery was again able to glide through untouched to dot down for 24-5.

The restart to Lavery’s try saw Falkirk enjoy some territory and they put together an excellent offensive effort which had the Biggar defence under real pressure.

This aspect of the Biggar game has been significant this season however and this was again the case with all showing great determination to keep Falkirk out.

With ball spread left it was the outstretched hand of Bradford which put paid to the host's attack and he set off on what was a sprint to the line some 90 metres distant.

Matthew Stewart’s conversion made it 31-5.

Five minutes later and it was Stewart who managed to beat the Falkirk defence and get onto the end of a very neat Lavery chip to get between the Falkirk cover for Biggar’s sixth score.

The final score fell to Chris Mulligan who benefited from Reive’s hassling at the scrum base.

The ball popped up nicely for Mulligan who attacked the line at full pace to cross untouched for a try, converted again by Stewart.

Biggar were delighted to take the bonus point win.

And so Biggar now prepare for the visit of Whitecraigs who did everything bar win the first encounter.

They are one of only two sides to score two tries against Biggar this campaign and their scrum put Biggar’s eight under real pressure. Indeed a missed penalty was all that stood between the Glasgow side and a win.