Currie U16s 24

Biggar U16s 27

Kenny Lean

at The Oriam

FOLLOWING two Border raids over Christmas and New Year Biggar were sent to the neutral venue of The Oriam in Edinburgh to play Currie in the National Cup semi-final.

The game started with Biggar defending poorly to concede a very early try in the corner.

However they regained possession and put pressure on the Currie line only for the ball to be held up following drives from Sam Taylor, Jonathan Smith and then Cameron Gray and Murray Lean.

But Callum McCallum did convert a long range penalty to make the score 5-3 after nine minutes.

Currie then had their strongest phase of the match and their full back found space from a loose Biggar kick and scored near the posts.

Biggar then fought right back and continued to put pressure on the Currie goal line with a miss pass from Callum Smith allowing Callum McCallum to score in the corner.

Despite pressure Biggar couldn't close the gap further before half time.

The second half started with Currie making what some thought was a decisive strike, scoring against the run of play to go 19-8 ahead.

The game then looked to be slipping further from the young Rams grasp when a kick chase by Callum McCallum on the half way line was fairly ruled a yellow card for taking the receiver out in the air. However with 14 men on the Oriam pitch the Biggar team tightened up and solid pressure led Sam Taylor to go over from short range converted by Euan Laing.

Then 18 minutes into the second half Currie struck what they believed was the decisive blow.

Trailing 24-15 Biggar now powered forward and following an incident where captain Jonathan Smith was taken out in the air at a lineout, Biggar set up an attacking phase and on the 26th minute scored through Sam Taylor again converted by Euan Laing.

With the score now 24 -22 Biggar maintained the pressure and gaps in the Currie defence were opening up.

As the clock ticked into the final 60 seconds Biggar set up a pick and go from under the posts to send Cameron Gray went over the line by the post for the winning try.

Callum Mccallum missed the conversion but the final whistle blew for a Biggar victory by 27 points to 24.