WATSONIANS remained on course to retain the Ned Haig Kings of the Sevens title by completing a thrilling double-header success weekend at Kelso and Earlston.

But it was Melrose’s 17-year-old Kieran Clark who stole the show at The Haugh on Sunday.

Clark, who just celebrated his birthday last Friday, made his debut as Melrose finished runners-up to Watsonians.

But was named Player-of-the-Tournament and brought a breath of fresh air to the sevens.

Clark scored two tries in the final, which Melrose lost 26-24, and now will press for a regular slot in the remaining two tournaments of the season at Selkirk and Jed-Forest.

“It was great to get to the final and great to win the award,” he said.

“It wasn’t going our way in the first half, but we then kicked on and unfortunately Bruce Colvine did not quite get that last kick (conversion).

“I will do my best to get into the squad for the next tournament.”

After his performances at Earlston, he is expected to be included for Philiphaugh.

Watsonians added the Earlston title to the success in the Kelso Sevens 24 hours earlier with that win over Melrose in the final.

The victory means that Watsonians are close to retaining the Kings title with two tournaments left at Selkirk at Jed-Forest.

They sit on 58 points followed by Boroughmuir (39), Edinburgh Accies (38) and Melrose 35.

“We are delighted with our success, but confidence breeds success and we are confident at present,” said coach Mike Ker.

“It has been a real squad effort.”

Melrose were the surprise team of the day, but Watsonians took a 19-7 half-time lead with two tries from Ewan Miller and one by Scott McKean to a Lewis Mallin try.

Clark and McKean exchanged tries after the break before McKean touched down.

The result hung in the balance after a further try from Clark and another from Donald Crawford.

Watsonians had earlier beaten Peebles and Hawick before eliminating Accies in the semi-final while Melrose disposed of Selkirk, Kelso and Boroughmuir.

Lewis Mallin scored three tries against Boroughmuir, who were missing Chris Laidlaw and Tom Wilson, and Melrose hung on despite a Gavin Welsh try.


First round; Melrose 42, Selkirk 0; Kelso 26, Hearts and Balls 19; Jed-Forest 24, Powerbombs 17; Boroughmuir 24, Berwick 17; Watsonians 31, Peebles 5; Hawick 42, Gala YM 0; Edinburgh Accies 47, Duns 0; Earlston 5, Gala 34.

Second round; Melrose 24, Kelso 12; Jed-Forest 5, Boroughmuir 19; Watsonians 21, Hawick 15; Edinburgh Accies 19, Gala 14.

Semi-finals: Melrose 17, Boroughmuir 12; Watsonians 24, Edinburgh Accies 19.

Final: Melrose 24, Watsonians 26.

Watsonians: R. Graham, E. Miller, H. Fisher, A. Harris, S. McKean, C. Harris, B. Robbins, C. Bell, A. Skeen, L. Miller.

Melrose: P. O’Sullivan, G. Wood, I. Simm, E. McVicker, B. Colvine, M. Muelsa-Julyan, K. Clark, R. Knott, L. Mallin, D. Crawford.