A LATE double from Kevin Connelly salvaged a point for struggling Gretna against Gala Fairydean Rovers in Saturday's only Lowland League match.

Although Daniel Smales had cancelled out Zander Murray’s opener for the visitors, it was Gala who raced into a 3-1 lead at Raydale Park with Murray notching a further two goals early in the second half.

But Connelly’s two strikes, in the 88th and 92nd minutes, gave Gretna a valuable point in their bid for survival.

For Murray, who had just scored his first hat-trick for Gala since arriving in September, the match was bitter-sweet.

The 27-year-old said: “We thought we’d done enough and it’s really disappointing to concede the way we did.

“I’m obviously pleased with my goals – that’s my first hat-trick since coming here - but the result is much more important and that’s definitely two points dropped.”

Spartans got their campaign back on track on Friday evening with a 1-0 win over Berwick Rangers at Ainslie Park.

Dylan Easton marked his return from injury with a goal to help Kelty Hearts into the quarter finals of the South Regional Challenge Cup.

Cammy Russell also netted in the 2-0 win over Stirling University.

Manager Barry Ferguson said: “We left it late but I thought we got what we deserved.

“We all know how good a player Dylan is, and it’s great to have him back after such a long time out.”

Sean Winter’s strike was enough for East Kilbride to edge past East Stirlingshire 1-0 at K Park.

There was further disappointment with a red card for Mark Millar.

Ross McNeil grabbed a hat-trick for Caledonian Braves as they also reached the quarter-finals of the Cup with a 3-0 win over Bonnyton Thistle.

Jamie O’Grady’s goal caused a shock at Westfield where Dunipace beat Bonnyrigg Rose 1-0.

And there was a further upset at Keir’s Park where Hill of Beath beat Cumbernauld Colts on penalties.

Stephen O’Neil had cancelled out Lewis Elder’s opener, but it was the East of Scotland side who triumphed in the shoot-out to reach the quarter-finals.