Biggar 40

Watsonians 7

Al Stewart

at Hartree Mill

ATOP the League having lost just one match to date, and facing a side in ninth place, Biggar were favourites for the win but nothing is ever a certainty in sport and so the visitors from the capital were given every respect, especially as they have a very proud tradition of expansive, running rugby.

Such are the expectations of the Biggar support however that there was some discomfort that the scoreboard had not been troubled in the first quarter.

Folks are too quick to forget that Biggar, as league leaders, are regarded as a top scalp and that their opponents have a squad of 20 and coaches who are all motivated and equally keen to win!

The opening exchanges were as tough as any encountered this season.

The Watsons XV did more damage to Biggar’s lineout and won more quality ball on their own put in than has been the case at any point to date.

In attempts to break the Watsons defence down, Biggar opted to speed the game up, scrum half Luhann Kutze taking quick tap penalties when given the opportunity.

Having created a good attacking position deep in the Watsons half, it was Kutze who rounded off a solid penalty scrum with a darting dive which took him under the Watsons defence for the opening score. Andrew Jardine kicked the conversion for 7-0.

Five minutes later and on the half hour mark, Biggar notched their second score, this falling to Lewis Stewart who was able to dive over after the pack had taken control at a lineout in the visitors 22. Jardine added the conversion from an acute angle.

To score as half time is close is always a big boost and so it proved as Biggar mounted another attack. Having taken play to within 20 metres of the Watsons line a typical Kutze and Rowan Stewart move provided the winger with another clear run under the posts. Jardine’s conversion took Biggar ahead at 21-0.

A penalty award at the start of the second half gave Biggar another opportunity in the Watsons 22. On this occasion ball was retained and after play was advanced toward the line Euan Sanderson barrelled his way over for the all important bonus point-winning try. Jardine was just off target with the conversion.

This was the start of a purple patch for Biggar as within a 10 minute period this and another two tries were scored to take Biggar into an unassailable 40-0 lead.

The 5th try was credited to Sanderson, the flanker making a fantastic pick up off a slightly wayward Kutze pass. Jardine added the conversion to this try.

The next score was a somewhat bizarre try, created and scored by Mulligan.

The final 10 minutes or so saw Watsons enjoy their best passage of play as they managed to retain possession and work through a series of phases.

This resulted in them working their way to Biggar’s five metre line. Biggar’s defence held firm for a prolonged period but eventually the Edinburgh outfit found a space and centre Thomas Klein managed to squeeze over for a deserved score, converted by Lucca Rosso.

Biggar: R. Orr, R. Stewart, R. Hutton, R. Lavery, R. Bradford, A. Jardine, L. Kutze, D. Voas, C. Mulligan, P. Davidson, C. Borthwick, J. Orr, E. Sanderson, L. Stewart, R. Jackson. Reps: R. Bassett, A. Peacock, F. Barr, C. Lavery, M. Bertram.