Kirkcaldy 15

Peebles 27

Allan Beveridge

at Beveridge Park

AMONG the opposition's support on Saturday was former Peebles player and official from the late 1960s, Brian Dewar.

Away from the rugby field Mr Dewar was also my science teacher.

But thankfully it was the team who had travelled up from Peebles who produced the winning formula - and a bonus point too - to stay in the title race.

Peebles opened brightly on the reasonably firm surface and only a forward pass early on to James Dow prevented them taking an early lead.

But the away fans didn't have to wait all that long as in the 12th minute David Collins made a great break from his own half.

Despite a rash, high challenge he managed to continue towards the line and score beneath the posts.

Greg Raeburn's reliable boot made it 7-0.

The try though came at a cost as Collins required treatment for the effects of the high tackle and had to leave the field.

A reshuffle saw Donald Anderson move to scrum half.

There was a further set back with Kirkcaldy slotting a penalty to reduce the margin.

Only a good recovery by Murdo Anderson prevented the home team edging in front a short time later.

But Peebles were soon on the front-foot again, and it was unfortunate the referee didn't allow for advantage as James Dow burst clear.

The Gytes men did extend their lead before the break, after the home winger was yellow-carded for a high tackle.

Rhuraidh Clinch made a sharp break from his own half to offload for Murray Brown to race in for a try.

Despite being a man down Kirkcaldy almost replied immediately but their centre was brought down by an ankle tackle from teenager Stuart Hunter.

The home team started the second half well.

And the pressure eventually led to a try from the forwards.

At 8-12 it was very much game on.

A Raeburn penalty gave Peebles a little more breathing space.

And in the 65th minute Ryan Stewart was on the tail of a good drive, following Murdo Anderson's line-out catch, to score a try.

Raeburn's conversion gave Peebles a 22 points to 8 lead.

But there was still work to be done. Kirkcaldy's replacement prop barged his way over the score with around 10 minutes remaining.

The successful conversion brought the home team back to within a score.

Peebles, though, finished the game well.

The pack had several good drives towards the line as they searched for a crucial bonus point.

After winning several penalties, the ball was kicked for touch.

And from the resultant line out the pack managed to drive over for the try.

Once again this win was a great team effort with the forwards in particular putting in a good shift.

And the backroom team, including coach Lewis Bertram, touch judge Paul, the medical team and water carriers all played their part in keeping Peebles in contention.

There is no game this week as the club is travelling to Wales to play a friendly match and give vocal support to the Scotland squad.