Vale of Leithen 1-3 Selkirk

By Callum Hodgson
at Victoria Park

SELKIRK’S impressive Lowland League form continued on Saturday as they claimed their second away win in the space of a week.

Fresh from a convincing victory over Stirling University, Ian Fergus’ side travelled to Victoria Park for a Borders derby with Vale.

And the young Souters didn’t let their boss down – with two goals from Calum Helm and a David Banjo header enough to see off the Innerleithen side, who had equalised through a fantastic Kerr Allan free kick.

Fergus told us: “We did really well today. We were missing five pivotal players, so it was great to get a result against a team whose league table position belies where they should be.

“Vale are a good hard-working team and I think many clubs will find it challenging to get three points here (at Victoria Park) this season. The average age of our team today was just 21, so we’re still a work in progress.

“But it was great to see 16-year-old Jordan Keenan come on, the youngest player to play for Selkirk, and set up a goal.

“Calum Helm played well too. We brought him in because we know what he can do and David Banjo has scored four massive goals for us now that have got us points.”

The visitors opened the scoring on 18 minutes when Andrew Fleming’s ball from the left found Helm who fired past Ross Gilpin.

And they had another good chance just five minutes later when Helm played in Addison, but his effort went over the crossbar.

But Vale also created excellent chances throughout the afternoon and they should have been level when Kerr Allan hit towards what looked like an empty net, but Selkirk skipper Ricky Miller made an excellent recovery to clear off the line.

And Chris Anderson’s side did draw level on the half hour mark when Allan directed a wonderfully struck set piece past Gregor Amos.

Just before half time Sean Stewart also came close when he stormed down the left and cut inside, but his shot went wide.

The visitors put on pressure to try and retake the lead early in the second half, with Fleming and Ciaren Chalmers both heading over.

Ryan Sclater also nearly scored, but his free kick was about two inches too high.

The Vale front line did cause problems for Gregor Amos, as did Allan who whipped in a brilliant corner from the right, but Craig McBride’s header was cleared off the line by Selkirk substitute Ross King.

But it was Selkirk who got the next goal. On 83 minutes Sclater pumped a free kick into the penalty area, Banjo leapt above everyone and headed home to regain the lead. Anderson then brought himself on as his side pushed for a leveller.

And they thought they should have had a penalty when McBride was brought down in the box.

But the Souters took full advantage with Keenan breaking away and playing though Helm who added his second, leaving the Vale faithful furious with the referee at the final whistle.

Vale: R Gilpin, A Lewis, R Brady, J Scott-Mercer, C McBride, A Hunter (C Anderson 85), S Stewart, K Allan, J Stevens, B Raiker (A Martin 81), L Smith (M Graham 65).

Selkirk: G Amos, R Sclater, A Fleming, R Miller, C Chalmers, J Hopkinson (J Keenan 86), L Turkington (R Donaldson HT), P Addison (R King 72), D Banjo, C Helm, S McKirdy.