Gala Fairydean Rovers 1-3 Vale of Leithen

By Callum Hodgson

at Netherdale

VALE of Leithen boss Chris Anderson was delighted with his side’s display after they secured their third league win of the season.

Strikes from Kerr Allan and substitutes Shaun Stevens and Matthew Graham ensured the Innerleithen side climbed to 13th, three points behind their Galashiels rivals.

They did concede in the 92nd minute when Stuart Noble struck in the six yard box, but that was all the home side could muster in terms of goals.

And the Vale gaffer believes the win was a long time coming.

Anderson told us: "It was an excellent performance. I think we have been playing quite well recently, but we haven’t taken our chances.

"But I think we always knew that if we worked hard, we’d get the result we deserved sooner or later.

"I think it has been the story of our season. We have had good spells in games, but have been a bit sloppy and scrappy at times and it’s cost us, so it was good to get a win.

"Hopefully we can now put in some good performances and get a bit of a run going."

Vale started the game the brightest with Jason Stevens coming close twice in the opening 15 minutes.

And one minute before the interval they could have taken the lead.

Sean Stewart burst down the right and turned inside but his shot was excellently saved by Lewis Muir.

Anderson made two substitutions at half time bringing on Stevens and Ally Smith in an attempt to grab the opening goal.

But it was Gala who came the closest.

Craig Heugh played through Noble but he fired over from close range.

However, eight minutes later it was Vale who were celebrating.

After some great attacking play, Allan picked up the ball on the edge of the box and whacked it past the keeper to claim his second in two weeks.

Gala did respond though and should have levelled soon after.

Darren Smith floated in a corner from the left but Sean Guiney saw his header ricochet off the cross bar.

And just a minute later they created two more excellent chances.

The first saw Billy Miller's 18-yard effort palmed around the post by Ross Gilpin, and the second saw Guiney miss from close range after being played through by the Gala skipper.

And the home side were made to pay. On 77 minutes Allan knocked in a corner and Stevens made a darting run to the front post to grab Vale's second.

They came close again when Matthew Graham burst down the right, but his effort went inches wide.

But two minutes later he did grab a deserved goal, smashing his effort into the top corner from the edge of the box.

The Fairydean Rovers did continue to push forward and they did manage to pull one back through Stuart Noble – albeit too late in the day to mount a comeback.

Smith's corner wasn't cleared by the Vale defence, leaving the former Alloa forward the room to turn and prod home.

At the end of the game disappointed Gala boss Steven Noble said: "I felt as if we were on top for the most of the game. 

"We had some really good chances, but when you don’t take them you’re always liable to be punished.

"We’re on a bad run. We’ve not won at home now for two months, but it’s up to us now to turn that around. Me and Garry (Fraser) will be looking at everything and we will turn it around. I’m convinced we will.

"We’re obviously really disappointed today, but we it’s up to us to pick ourselves up. We’ll have a tough week of training and we’ll get ready to go again."

Gala: L Muir, L Stephen, B Miller, S Guiney, C Heugh, D Smith, J Gullan (G Rose 81), S Noble, R Craigie (S Paliczka 70), R Aitchison (A Watson 61), S Main.

Vale: R Gilpin, A Lewis, R Brady, J Scott-Mercer, C McBride (A Smith HT), A Hunter, L Smith (M Graham 72), K Allan, B Raiker, S Stewart, J Stevens (S Stevens HT).