Penicuik 22

Walkerburn 36

ON Saturday Walkerburn RFC played their first competitive game for 14 months.

After not fielding a team last year the club took it's first steps to revival with an abbreviated game of 10s against an experienced Penicuik 2s.

It was fitting that the Burn ran out deserved winners, triumphing 36-22 in the end of a good contest.

The initial play was end to end, with Gary Alexander opened the scoring for Walkerburn with a classy burst through the centre, while Penicuik replied with a long range try of their own.

Ryan Scott, the electric winger, edged the Burn further in front with an elusive run, but this was cancelled out by a close range Penicuik try. Wily veteran Davie McNeillie finished well in the corner after another expansive move that ended the half with Walkerburn 19-12 up.

Penicuik struck the first blow of the second half with an unconverted try keeping the game very much in the balance.

Adam Williams produced a moment of magic to break down the blind side, dribble through and touch down giving the Burn some breathing space.

As the game approached the latter stages, further drama unfolded. Liam Card was sin-binned for a high tackle, leading to a Penicuik score. Adam Williams was then also sin-binned for a spot of petulance.

With Walkerburn temporarily down to eight and only leading 24-22 it could have ended badly.

However, showing great resilience the Burn managed to finish off with two scores from the impressive Guy Paterson.

This was an entertaining game played in great spirit by both teams, who enjoyed the hospitality of the Penicuik clubhouse afterwards.

Walkerburn start their League campaign against Dunbar at home at Caberston Haugh a week on Saturday 9th September.

Colin McCudden from Walkerburn told us: "It would be great to see a good support for the boys along on the day.

"We are also still looking for new players and would welcome anyone of any age or experience."

Anyone who would like to play for Walkerburn this season should contact