Biggar 68

Glasgow Hawks A 28

Al Stewart at Hartreemill

BIGGAR’S National Cup opponents, Perthshire, pulled out of the fixture on Wednesday evening as they were without prop forwards.

This was a blow as Biggar needed a fixture prior to league action this week against Hamilton.

Over the fixture secretary John Jackson who conjured up Glasgow Hawks 2nd XV although the Glasgow side were aided by a couple of Hamilton players to complete their squad.

On a perfect afternoon for rugby the game set off at a cracking pace with Biggar opening the scoring after 15 minutes.

An offensive hit in the centre by Gregor Stewart dislodged the ball which was gobbled up by flying winger Alistair Sinclair who set off to the line some 60 metres away.

Outstripping the defence he scored just to the left of the posts. Euan Bogle converted for 7-0.

Just eight minutes later and Sincliar ran in his second, this after he was picked out by stand off Carne Green.

Bogle converted again for 14-0.

Feinting a wide pass, Green popped a short ball some five minutes later to rampaging flanker Andrew Orr. He made ground before feeding supporting centre Gregor Stewart who then fed hooker Ewan Stewart to cross for an excellent score, though just too wide for the conversion.

Sinclair then nabbed his hat-trick, this another long run in after Ewan Stewart provided a neat inside ball on the half way.

Bogle’s conversion took Biggar to 26 points with Hawks gaining a score of their own as their number 8 burrowed over from close range. The conversion made the half time score 26-7.

The try run continued after the break when Orr made a very typical breenge up the middle and over, with Bogle again on target for 33-7.

Biggar made a hash of the restart kick and Hawks pounced once more as their centre crashed over under the posts.

Biggar’s newest recruit Arnoldas Patrascio from Lithuania made the ultimate dream start.

Playing at lock but standing at the tail of the lineout, he gathered a Hawks overthrow to turn and crash over for a try with what was his very first touch of a ball in a Biggar jersey. Needless to say Bogle converted.

In similar fashion to Hawks’ second score, Biggar’s defence was once again found wanting and with Patrascio clearly shielding a weak shoulder he departed to be replaced by livewire Callum Dunlop who showed great composure throughout the match.

Another neat pop pas from Green to Orr was the prelude to Biggar’s next try, this going to skipper for the day Euan Sanderson.

With Bogle off for a rest Aird Jardine converted.

Biggar conceded a penalty in their own 22 as Hawks again came back, the visitors' stand off stepping neatly to beat the Biggar cover for their fourth score which, when converted, gave them their 28 point tally.

Biggar were not to be outdone however and relished the opportunity to have the last word.

A neat dink from Green behind the Hawks midfield saw Jardine nip in and make the best job of splitting the remaining cover for a try which Green converted.

The final score went to winger Ross Bradford who had been running lines all afternoon without ever touching the ball.

A darting, mazy run by Jardine saw the wee man beat several of the Hawks defence - some seemingly twice – before off-loading, the ball eventually nabbed by Bradford for the final and 10th Biggar try. Green converted for the 68 point tally.

Biggar: A. Nimmo, E. Stewart, G. Kelly, C. Dunlop, A. Peacock, E. Sanderson, A. Orr, D. Notman, A. Jardine, C. Green, A. Sinclair, G. Stewart, R. Lavery, R. Bradford, E. Bogle Reps: C. Braid, D. Voas, D. O’Connell, R. Moffat, J. Barr, I. Renwick