Peebles 29

Jedforest 42

Allan Beveridge at The Gytes

JUST after half time Peebles were facing a heavy defeat, trailing by 28 points to five to a Jed team who had been hard to stop.

In that opening 42 minutes the visitors managed to score four tries.

Up to that time Peebles had not played badly but Jed had been very clinical.

What happened after that, though, will have given The Gytes faithful some encouragement.

Jed were were seven points up after six minutes when Paulo Ferreira scored his first try.

Rory Marshall converted with his trusty left foot.

Peebles hit back quickly when Cal Anderson, this season's captain, made a break from his own half. He took play into the visitors 22 before being stopped, but a couple of rucks and forward drives by Peebles saw the ball recycled and Ryan Stewart scored wide out.

On the quarter hour mark it was Anderson who again made the break again from his own 22.

He ran up the left but could not get his pass away to Scott Stoddart, who was sprinting up the touch line.

Half way through the first period Jed scored their second try.

They were awarded a penalty on half way and stand off Chisholm put a nice touch finder into the Peebles 22. Jed won the lineout and put in a driving maul for Blake Roff to dive over for the try, which was converted by Marshall.

Just a few minutes later Jed should probably have gone further ahead.

They were awarded a penalty in their own 22.

Full back Lewis Young took a quick tap and raced up the right wing. On half way he put in a long kick for Marshall to chase but Peebles full back Ruaridh Clinch just beat him to the touch down.

Before half time, though, Jed stand off Chisholm side stepped the Peebles defence after good work by his forwards to score between the posts.

Marshall conversion made it 21-5.

Immediately from the restart Ferreira added his second try, again from short distance.

Marshall again added the additional two points from the conversion. .

At this stage Peebles could have buckled.

But they stuck in.

They were handling well from all areas of the field and had been stopped short on a few occasions.

In the scrum Peebles were holding their own despite some huge drives, and the lineouts were going well with the two Browns, Willy and Ross, taking clean catches.

Despite this spirited fight Peebles went further behind when Ferreira scored his third again converted by Marshall

Peebles centre Murray Brown scored under the posts for the home team and he added the conversions points himself.

And in the last 10 minutes Peebles closed the gap further.

Scott Stoddart finished off a good phase of play to touch down in the corner.

Ryan Stewart added his second try after a good catch and drive by the forwards at a lineout.

Peebles were also awarded a penalty try after full back Clinch was pulled back in the course of touching the ball down after a good kick and chase.

But Jed also added another try through right wing Callum Young.

This weekend Peebles play their first league game and this is away to Lasswade with a 3pm kick off.