Peebles 26

Kirkcaldy 35

Allan Beveridge at The Gytes

KIRKCALDY didn't enjoy the build up to Saturday's match at The Gytes after being held up for a considerable time on the new Queensferry Crossing.

But their big and heavy pack didn't allow the delays to deter from an impressive late rally against a Peebles team who were punished by poor refereeing decisions.

With less than 10 minutes to go, and Peebles up by 26 points to18, the crowd were applauding the handling and the attacks by the Peebles backs and forwards as they went looking for a bonus point win.

But in that last few minutes of the game Kirkcaldy scored two tries and two penalties to snatch victory.

The game had started well for the Fifers as they were 3-10 up in the first quarter of this contest, through a try in the sixth minute by hooker Wallace who took a short ball from a ruck in the Peebles 22.

Left winger Bruce scored the second after good handling by their backs.

Peebles' only reply in that time was a Greg Raeburn penalty.

However Peebles gradually found their game and were beginning to attack from all over the park.

Raeburn added a second penalty to reduce the visitors' lead.

And on the half hour mark Andy Muir made a good break from a scum to slip the ball Donald Anderson, who scored under the posts. Raeburn converted Peebles were in front by 13-10.

From the Kirkcaly start Roddy Guiney fielded the high kick and took off up the pitch to link with the backs.

Following a ruck in the Kirkcaldy 22 Peebles recycled quickly and Raeburn stepped his way through the defence to score under the posts. He added the conversion to make it 20-10.

Kirkcaldy responded with a few good drives through their big pack and only a try saving tackle by Ruaridh Clinch prevented them getting back into the game.

However right on the half time whistle Kirkcaldy scored a forwards try after they turned a scrum about five metres from the Peebles line and as a ruck formed on the Peebles line the referee awarded a try.

Peebles still held a 20-15 lead at the interval.

For most of the second half the crowd were entertained by some good running rugby by the Peebles backs, but the progress was often thwarted by the visitors being offside and retreating slowly.

Peebles did have parity in the lineout but in the scrums these young Peebles forwards - the oldest being 23 - were under pressure, relying on quick ball before Kirkcaldy got the drive on.

Two Raeburn penalties saw Peebles going further ahead and with less than 10 minutes to go they did look like winning.

However the visitors brought on their heavy brigade and they kept possession, managing to get the two scores they required for victory. Two tries - one a penalty try - and two penalties were enough to give the Fifers the win.