Peebles 20

Hamilton 30

Allan Beveridge at The Gytes

THE home team should have had this result out of sight during the opening half hour of this game at The Gytes last Saturday.

Peebles had three or four good scoring opportunities within the first 30 minutes when the backs penetrated the visitors' defence and took play into their 22.

But a pattern quickly emerged of a dropped last pass, a knock on or the support play being too slow.

Peebles also had three lineouts on the Hamilton five metres line during the opening half hour but, again, these opportunities were lost.

To rub salt into the wounds of The Gytes faithful, Hamilton's only scoring chance of the first half resulted in a try.

The Bulls ran good ball along their backs division to left winger Inglis, who sprinted from 40 metres out to score behind the posts.

Mcleish added the simple conversion.

Peebles had taken the lead on 15 minutes with a well struck penalty from Greg Raeburn.

And McLeish had levelled with a penalty from a similar distance.

The Inglis try just after the half hour gave Hamilton a 10-3 advantage at the interval.

A further Inglis try just after half time gave Hamilton a commanding 17-3 lead.

The flying winger enjoyed a kind bounce from a kick through to dart beneath the posts.

Mcleish again added the conversion.

Peebles tried to respond immediately.

But a pass was intercepted and it took a good covering tackle to prevent the Bulls extending their advantage.

The home team did close the gap just a few minutes later as Murray Johnston's quick tap penalty sent in Ruriadh Britton for a try.

Raeburn's conversion brought Peebles to within seven points.

And in the 55th minute they drew level.

A great running move from inside their own half, including Donald and Callum Anderson, was finished off by Scott Stoddart.

Raeburn made it 17-17 with the conversion, before edging Peebles in front with another penalty.

The hopes of a second victory were soon dashed as Strathclyde team managed to add 13 points through a converted try and two penalties in the closing 20 minutes.

Although this was a game lost there was definite progress.

But the result put Peebles second from the bottom of the league.

Tomorrow (Saturday) the Peebles team head for Cupar to face the team that is currently bottom, Howe of Fife.