Peebles 33-10 West of Scotland

By Allan Beveridge

at The Gytes

PEEBLES returned to winning ways on Saturday, securing a bonus point victory at The Gytes.

The home side played a brand of good attacking running rugby which has become the norm this season. 

But it was the visitors who opened the scoring in the seventh minute when right winger Peter Burns landed a good penalty. 

And from the restart Peebles were reduced to 14 men when Scott Stoddart tackled second row player Zoma while he was in the air.

However, this reduction in numbers did not deter the Pees from attacking and Callum Anderson went over the visitors’ line soon after, but he could not get the ball grounded. 

The home side were then awarded a penalty from a scrum. Being dominant in the set piece, the Pees opted for a scum and not the simple three points on offer. 

Number 8 Roddy Guiney picked up and drove for the line. He was stopped, but Andy Muir was there to pick up and he dived over for the side’s first try of the afternoon.

In the 20th minute Peebles were awarded a penalty. Greg Raeburn put a good kick into the visitors 22. 

The lineout was won and the backs worked a move which saw Callum Anderson cut through the defence; although the referee adjudged that the final pass had gone forward. 

But the same player was not to be outdone again and he scored Peebles’ second try after good work by Guiney. Raeburn again converted making the score 12 - 3.

The visitors did narrow the score just before half time when centre Mark Davis ran in under the posts. Burns added the conversion. 

In the process of defending, Peebles’ Number 8 was yellow carded for a high tackle just as Davis stepped inside him to score. 

In the second minute of the second half, the home side took a ‘heel against the head’ at a scrum deep inside the west 22.

And good work by Donald Anderson and Raeburn saw Callum Anderson score his second of the afternoon right under the posts. Raeburn again converted.

An unusual period of play followed. Peebles were awarded a scrum five meters from the west line. 

The referee awarded four penalties at the same incident as West could not keep their scrum up. 

With the crowd baying for a penalty try, the referee held his nerve and yellow carded one of the West props. 

And before the game ended, Ross Brown, Ryan Stewart and William Napier all scored tries – each converted by Raeburn, to secure a good win for the Tweeddale team.