Preston Lodge 6

Biggar 62

Al Stewart at The Pennypit

BIGGAR put an injury-ravaged Preston Lodge to the sword with a sound display of running rugby which resulted in a 10-0 try count.

That Biggar ‘played’ for the full 80 minutes was as pleasing as the result, as recent games have seen the side stutter for at least a half of each match.

The East Lothian side were not helped by an injury to lock Jonny Sked, the big man twisted in a tackle and sustaining a neck injury.

While an ambulance was immediately summoned, there was a delay of just over an hour with the match official Ramsay Darroch making a decision to continue only after the paramedics had assessed Sked and were prepared to have him stretchered off the pitch.

With some seven minutes remaining of the half, Biggar were reduced to 14 men just after the restart with Andrew Peacock shown a yellow and the side had to defend hard to keep PL out.

This achieved, they managed a crucial try of their own just before the break.

This was their third score and Nimmo’s second - both converted by Carne Green for a 17-6 half time lead.

The first two scores were credited to Sinclair and of course Nimmo who certainly made an impact when he came on for Dan O’Connell.

Both of the first scores were long range efforts involving good passing and real pace.

Neither side had found the re-start after such a long delay easy and they were then brought to a halt again as the usual half time break was called.

As time was marching on the PL club had their floodlights primed for the second half.

Biggar could not have wished for a better start as almost directly from the kick off a Green kick had Lodge fullback Jonathan Brash in bother.

The resultant scrum provided good ball and Aird Jardine popped the ball to winger Ross Bradford whose pace took him clear of the cover and over for a try.

Green converted for 24-6.

Robison thought he was over for a try after a lineout error but play was pulled back, this coinciding with the return of Peacock.

Biggar scored their fifth try through Sinclair, the winger benefitting as Jamie Orr took a ball from the Preston throw.

Green’s conversion struck the upright before bouncing out.

Makeshift flanker Craig McDonald was next to cross.

Taking a neat off load he bundled his way over from some 10 metres and showing great determination in the process.

The next three tries went to Green in what was a remarkable 10 minute spell for the Kiwi stand off.

The first saw him make a neat dummy before sprinting past the missing defence; the second after he won the chase to his own neat grubber kick; and then the third after he took an interception pass from Preston stand off Chris Dixon.

Robbie Lavery nipped in to take another interception to run in from half way for another Biggar try.

Green’s tries and conversions left him with a personal tally of 27 points.

There was a great deal of satisfaction at this comprehensive victory however, one which the very welcome travelling support thoroughly enjoyed and which put to bed somewhat the recent poor set of results and performances Biggar have endured at Preston Lodge's hands.

The surprise results from Dumfries and Kirkcaldy made the win all the sweeter of course.

Next up is a home match against Lasswade.

Biggar: D. O’Connell, K. Robison, C. Braid, J. Orr, A. Peacock, A. Warnock, E. Sanderson, A. Orr, D. Reive, C. Green, A. Sinclair, G. Stewart, R. Lavery, R. Bradford, A. Jardine Reps: A. Nimmo, C. McDonald, C. Lavery, R. Moffat