Peebles 10

Biggar 15

Allan Beveridge at The Gytes

THEY say revenge is sweet - and going by the celebrations from the Biggar contingent on Saturday it seems to be true.

Peebles managed to nick the win at Hartree Mill earlier in the season.

And on Saturday the visitors did likewise in a thrilling match at The Gytes.

The most exciting parts of this game were undoubtedly the closing stages of each half.

With Biggar having the majority of possession throughout it would not really have been justice if Peebles had stolen the points again.

But for a while the win would gladly have been accepted by the Peebles faithful.

Following plenty of to-ing and fro-ing Peebles went in front just before half time.

Donald Anderson broke blind from a ruck near the Biggar line and managed to shrug off the tackle to dive over for what turned out to be the only home try of the afternoon.

Greg Raeburn added the conversion for a 7-0 lead.

Biggar had worked hard during the opening 40 minutes and would have felt aggrieved to be behind at the interval.

But they were fortunate not to fall further behind.

Kenny Clyde made a great 40 metre break up the middle of the field before being brought down by a great covering tackle from Biggar's man-of-the-match Andrew Orr.

The number eight also stole the ball and cleared the danger before the Peebles support arrived.

Peebles kept up the pressure forcing a penalty near the Biggar line after the visitors collapsed the maul.

Biggar were further penalised at the scrum on two occasions and there were more than a few expecting a penalty try to be awarded by referee Michael Milner.

Orr again salvaged the situation for the visitors and managed to clear the danger.

Ruaridh Clinch had to be on his guard on 55 minutes to touch down Ian Renwick's grubber kick as Biggar searched for a way back into the match.

But just two minutes later the Hartree Mill men did get on the scoreboard with Renwick finishing off a good handling move to touch down.

Carne Green's conversion went wide.

But it wasn't long until Biggar edged in front.

Green had made a good break to reach the Peebles 22 before the defence was penalised.

The kick to the corner led to a driving maul, allowing scrum half Davie Reive to throw a miss pass for centre Ryan Moffat to score near the Peebles posts.

Green converted for a 12-7 advantage.

Raeburn landed a 35 metre penalty with ten minutes remaining to reduce the gap to just two points.

But Green restored the deficit with a further penalty just two minutes later.

Peebles needed a try in the final seven minutes and they came close when Calum Anderson collected a kick through by Clinch and touched down only for the referee to judge him to have been in front of the kicker.

The home team was reduced to 14 players in the closing stages when Willie Napier was red-carded for throwing a punch.

Peebles are on the road this weekend to play Hamilton.

It will be difficult game for the men from the Gytes who will be three forwards short due to injuries and suspensions.