Peebles 31

Aberdeenshire 20

Allan Beveridge at The Gytes

IT'S all getting a little tense at the top of National League Two.

The Gytes men didn't play as well as they have been in recent weeks and Shire did give the local supporters some nervous moments at times. Thankfully, however, the home team came out on top and showed they can play exciting and expansive rugby when it's required.

Callum Anderson opened the scoring for Peebles but that was only after a third minute scare.

Peebles knocked the ball forward in their own 22. The visitors, though, were penalised at the resulting scrum and Greg Raeburn cleared the danger. In the run up to the first try Scott Stoddart had a great run from his own half on the left wing up to the Aberdeen 22.

The ball was recycled and Murray Johnston threw a good pass to the left for Callum Anderson to score in the corner.

But an eighth minute yellow card for Roddy Guiney gave the visitors a chance to reply immediately.

But the Peebles defence stood firm and the danger was cleared.

Raeburn added a penalty on the quarter hour to make it 8-0.

Shire responded when No. 7 Horrocks burst through the Peebles defence. His fellow forwards were quick to back him up and after a ruck about 10 metres from the line and quick recycling led to the try by captain Ryan.

The visitors took the lead just before the half hour.

Good handling and running by their three-quarters saw the ball quickly transferred to left winger Taylor who scored in the corner.

If anything the Shire revival kicked Peebles back into life.

Raeburn added a second penalty before Stevie Hamilton scored the try of the day.

Guiney won a good turn over in the Peebles 22 to allow Murray Johnston to throw a quick pass to Raeburn still in his own 22.

Rather than kick he fed the Anderson brothers, Donald and Callum, who flung it out to Hamilton to sprint some 60 metres into the corner.

Green's penalty for Shire reduced the gap to 16-13 before half time.

Peebles continued to press after the interval and run the ball whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Callum Anderson soon scored his second try after some good work by Guiney and Rohan Maciver.

Raeburn again added the conversion for a 23-13 advantage.

Aberdeen weren't giving up and they reduced the lead after surprising the home team with a quick tap penalty leading to Clough's second try.

With less than 15 minutes to go Raeburn, with his trusted boot, added another penalty for a six point advantage.

And five minutes later they scored that all-important fourth try.

Stevie Hamilton took the ball at speed up the right wing and, once tackled, recycled the ball to allow passes along the backs to Scott Stoddart to sneak in at the corner.

In the closing stages Hamilton was given a red card by the young referee. He appeared to have made a good tackle on his opposite number but held onto his legs above the horizontal.

Peebles will await the referee's report to see if the full back will receive a ban.

Promotion rivals Kelso and Cartha Queen's Park also won with bonus points on Saturday.

On Saturday Peebles travel to Kelso to play the postponed game from two weeks ago.

Kick off is at 2.30pm.