GHK 43

Biggar 15

Al Stewart at Burnbrae

THIS was Biggar’s second away match against GHK this season but this was at a different venue, the game being played at Burnbrae, home of West of Scotland and on their astro-turf pitch.

GHK still cannot access their Old Anniesland facility because of the sump hole which appeared in the summer.

This latest match was in the BT National Cup, the teams playing for a place in the quarter finals.

With several regulars unavailable due to injury and a wedding Biggar fielded a youthful XV although with all bar three having had 1st XV action this season already.

Biggar had begun the scoring with a Green penalty after just two minutes but as had been the case from Scotland the previous weekend against Samoa, they very quickly leaked a score to their hosts, whose stand off Cammy Hughes crashed over from just five metres for the opening try.

Danny Campbell converted for 7-3.

Biggar replied with some decent phases and certainly matched their hosts at this stage although there were a number of significant errors which meant that Biggar were unable to maintain territory or retain possession.

Just before the half hour mark, GHK ran in their second try, Campbell the scorer as he exploited a good line to run in from almost half way.

His conversion took the score to 14-3.

A good attack featuring Gregor Stewart on a crash ball was held with a high tackle from GHK's Jeremy Hanks.

Being a player to the good should have given Biggar the advantage to score but again a combination of errors and a misfiring lineout meant that again Biggar conceded possession.

The next GHK score came from a quick tap penalty and with the conversion, GHK stretched their lead to 21-3 at the break.

Able to exert considerable pressure on the GHK pack, Biggar opened strongly again and still with the one man advantage opted to scrum and then re-scrum on a penalty award.

There was great frustration then – matched by GHK jubilation – when the home side won a penalty from the re-scrum and promptly kicked clear.

Biggar then had a third opportunity to score which they took, with centre Ryan Moffat crashing over under the posts.

Green converted for 21-10.

GHK were soon back on the attack themselves, Biggar’s cause not helped by a couple of penalties and an injury to Ewan Stewart who had to retire, Andrew Orr moving to hooker from his back row berth, and Marcus Dobie his replacement.

Unable to guarantee good quality lineout ball proved crucial and Biggar’s attack floundered far too often on this area.

Biggar were still in touch as the match approached the end of the third quarter until, that is, GHK got their fourth try.

Almost immediately after the restart GHK scored their fifth try putting the match beyond doubt.

Campbell’s conversion took the score to 31-10.

Biggar replied with their second try off a Green cross-kick, but the Glasgow side were greedy for more and they ran in another two scores, credited to lock Hanks and Campbell, who added another conversion for his 18 point tally.

A last eight BT quarter final place would have been a great boost for the Biggar side but instead they now await the visit of Glasgow side West their next opponents for a match scheduled for December 2.

Biggar: D. O’Connell, E. Stewart, A. Nimmo, C. Dunlop, A. Peacock, A. Warnock, A. Orr, D. Notman, A. Jardine, C. Green, A. Sinclair, R. Moffat, G. Stewart, E. Bogle, T. Steele Reps: G. Kelly, J. Barr, Marcus Dobie.