A SECTION of the Northgate in Peebles has been cordoned off after reports of 'an underground fire'.

Three fire crews were dispatched to the scene after a call was made shortly after midday.

Peeblesshire News:

^Photo courtesy of Margaret Johnstone

Local resident Craig Cassidy took to social media to share details of what has happened.

He said: "Underground fire, awaiting Scottish power to attend. Lots of smoke and bangs for a while... they suspect it's an underground transformer."

The incident has left many residents and businesses in the area without power.

A statement on the SP Energy Networks website at 12.15pm said: "[There is] a supply interruption in the EH45 postcode area of Peebles, affecting Edinburgh Road, Cuddyside and surrounding streets.

"This has been caused by a fault on our electrical network and is affecting a number of customers in the local area.

"Our emergency response teams are now making their way to the substation at Kingsland to investigate and repair the fault and we expect your power to be restored by 3.15PM.

"We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience."