A TWEED Green business-owner fears noisy youths will discourage tourists from staying in the area.

Peebles community councillor Julie Shearer rents out a one-bedroomed flat to holidaymakers beside the Tweed.

She believes the lack of police presence is giving trouble-makers carte blanche to do whatever they want.

And she fears it could deter future visitors from staying in the area.

Julie told the Peeblesshire News: “A couple stayed at my flat in November last year, and told me that a crowd of around seven youths were standing outside the flat, talking loudly, peering through the window and hitting the door with a football.

“The fact that they came and hit the door is very worrying. Unpleasant as it is, they are pretty harmless, and are just making a nuisance of themselves with no respect for peoples’ lives.

“In all the 14 years I lived there, before moving to Broughton a few years ago, I never experienced anything like that. With budget cuts going on, I understand the police are stretched to be everywhere.

“But if they could do some sort of a regular patrol, given it is a known hotspot, it would put fellow residents, and business owners like me, at ease.” The November police report for Peebles stated: “On November 17, a report was received of a large group of youths banging on a door of a property in Tweed Green.

“The youths ran off and the informant was unable to give a description.”

Since the incident, Tweeddale councillor Kris Chapman (Lib Dem) has been monitoring the area.

He told us: “I’ve been out with PC Sorrell on patrols across Peebles, including Tweed Green. With my background as a youth worker, I see the problem areas, and I’ll work with the police to mitigate any ongoing issues.

“We are aware of a number of isolated incidents on Tweed Green, and we are managing the situation as appropriately as possible.

“In the meantime, I am looking to establish a safe, indoor space where our young people can meet, and won’t disturb local residents.

“My message to anyone who spots this type of bad behaviour is to call 101, and tell your local councillor.”