THE LAST time Vale of Leithen met league leaders Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic they conceded 13 goals without reply.

On Tuesdaythey became the first opponents to experience New Dundas Park under the lights this season.

And most of the 500 plus fans in attendance expected similar, but new head coach Grant Sandison’s side provided much stiffer opposition this time around.

Vale went into the game on the back of a 7-1 defeat to East Stirlingshire last weekend and it took two minutes for the deadlock to be broken.

Bradley Barrett and Ross Gray’s one-two broke down the well-organised Vale backline and Barrett’s powerful cross found Nathan Evans who fired the ball into the net.

The hosts almost doubled their advantage, but a heroic goalline save by defender Ben Brady kept the deficit at one.

Vale keeper Kyle Wilson produced a couple of sensational saves to deny Hunter, which earned him a well-deserved round of applause from the home fans.

Bonnyrigg’s second goal arrived on the stroke of half-time after Ross Gray was brought down in the penalty area.

Veteran Lee Currie's ‘Panenka’ beat Wilson, who managed to get a hand to the ball.

Louie Grahame almost pulled one back for Vale, but his one-on-one effort was saved by Mark Weir.

Vale keeper Wilson made a few more decent saves to make him the man of the match following his sublime stop in the first half.

Luke Cormack had a late effort for the visitors which was dealt with comfortably by Weir and Bonnyrigg took the honours.

Elsewhere, Gala Fairydean Rovers did Vale a favour with a 3-1 win over fellow strugglers Gretna.

Vale host second top Spartans at Victoria Park on Saturday.

Sandison told the Peeblesshire News: “We were disappointed with how it went on Saturday but the players righted these wrongs against Bonnyrigg. Although we lost the game, I’m proud of them and they were really good against a team that’s top of the table and are undefeated for ten or eleven games.

“We gave them a real run for their money and if we play like we did last night we will pick up points in the league. I’m certain of that.

“Okay, Kyle (Wilson) had two or three unbelievable saves, but we also had a couple of good chances. Mark Deya who played as a trialist had a chance in the first-half and Louie Grahame in the second.

“Kyle was disappointed after Saturday’s defeat but last night he was commanding and assured at crosses and balls over the top.

“It’s been a hard week and now we have Spartans on Saturday who beat Celtic last night to go second. After that because of cup competitions our next competitive game will be away to Stirling Uni on December 4 so we have three weeks to work on the training ground and get our ideas across.

“Hopefully we might get another couple of players in and arrange one or two friendlies.”