FORMER Scotland rugby captain Stuart Hogg has admitted breaching a court order not to have any contact with his estranged wife by sending her "unpleasant" text messages.

The 32-year-old from Hawick appeared from custody at Jedburgh Sheriff Court on Wednesday afternoon after spending a night in police cells and pleaded guilty to repeatedly contacting her when a court order was in place prohibiting him from doing so.

Sentence was deferred on Scotland's leading all-time try scorer until the outcome of his domestic abuse trial later this month, which includes a charge of stalking and controlling behaviour towards his wife over a seven-year period. 

Defence lawyer Mat Patrick urged Sheriff Kevin McCarron not to remand Hogg in custody pointing out his client was due to travel to France later this month after securing a two-year playing contract which would provide him a source of income.

Mr Patrick also said that Hogg is due to be the best man at his older brother Graham's wedding this weekend.

Sheriff McCarron said that due to Hogg's lack of previous convictions he was persuaded to release him on bail.

But he added: "Let there be no doubt - no contact means no contact, invited or otherwise."

And the sheriff told Hogg that if there was any repetition of the behaviour then it was "highly unlikely" he would be granted bail in the future.

Mr Patrick said the contact between the pair on June 26 was initiated by his wife who contacted him to discuss financial issues.

He continued: "What thereafter happens is that she has posted a video on social media which has struck a chord with Mr Hogg and after consuming alcohol and feeling emotional he has texted her.”

Mr Patrick said there was nothing threatening in the messages but accepted they were inappropriate in the circumstances.

He added: "I have spoken to him and explained the serious position he has put himself in. He has had a night in the cells - he has never had that experience before."

Hogg pleaded guilty to breaching the bail condition set at Jedburgh Sheriff Court on May 7 by repeatedly contacting the woman between June 26 and June 30.

India McLean, prosecuting, said: "The messages are not threatening but they are not pleasant. One can describe them as abusive. There are a lot of them."

Mr Patrick admitted the "messages are unpleasant" but pointed out they only happened over the course of one night.

The case was continued until July 15 when Hogg has an intermediate trial diet at Jedburgh Sheriff Court.

He has previously pleaded not guilty to a charge of stalking and also an offence under section one of the Domestic Abuse Scotland Act.

A trial date was fixed for July 30 and he was released on bail with special conditions not to contact his former partner and to stay away from her address.