Tweeddale Rovers 3

Selkirk Victoria 2

By Callum Hodgson

At Runciman Park

TWEEDDALE Rovers came back from two goals down to lift the Forsyth Cup on Saturday.

Darren Munro and Scott Learmond fired Selkirk into an early lead.

But despite missing a first half penalty, Tweeddale hit back through Nathan McDonald, Greig Shortreed and Michael Robertson to claim the trophy.

And it was a day to remember for everyone at the club.

Jimmy Moffat from Tweeddale told us: “Coming back is something we’ve done all season.

“We are not really a first half team. We always seem to start very slowly.

“Today Selkirk got off to a flyer and gave us a real fright, but we managed to turn it around in the second half and that’s all credit to the players.

“The boys stuck at it and dug in. We always had belief.”

Victoria started the game strongly and went in front on just six minutes when Munro raced forward, beat two defenders and lobbed the ball into the goal.

And soon after the restart it was 2-0. Learmond managed to get the better of Marcus Thompson on the edge of the box and eventually looped his effort into the net.

But Tweeddale responded and came close through Moray Macleod and Michael Robertson.

However it was McDonald who nudged home from close range in the 24th minute, after Selkirk couldn’t clear Scott Latto’s free kick into the box.

And just moments later they were given a glorious chance to equalise when the referee pointed to the spot.

Michael Robertson stepped up but he was denied by an excellent save from goalkeeper Greg Fenton.

Victoria began the second half brightly with Lee Stephen forcing an acrobatic stop from Ryan Bertram.

But on 66 minutes Rovers were level.

Substitute Shortreed burst down the right wing and managed to bundle the ball over the line.

Latto then saw his effort tipped over the bar as Tweeddale began to build momentum.

And five minutes before the end they got the winner when Michael Robertson managed the poke the ball in at the near post, despite the best efforts of two Selkirk defenders.

The Souters desperately tried to grab a leveller to take the game to extra time, but their best chance from Stephen deflected wide.

Tweeddale: R Bertram, F Moffat, M Rathie, S Latto, R Meikle, N McDonald, M Robertson, J Robertson, M Thompson, C Robertson, M Mcleod. Subs: S Johnson, C Robertson, C Collin, S Evans, G Shortreed.

Selkirk: G Fenton, C Molloy, K Wilkinson, G Brownlee, R Pritchard, I Gardiner, L Stephen, C Lowrie, D Munro, S Learmond, B Gillie. Subs: M Young, L Mendoza, R Hope, J Chambers, D Whitehead.