Biggar Colts 31

Hamilton Bulls 14

THIS was a massively physical affair from the outset with some big impacts.

The Colts progressed well in the opening stages and put width on the ball quickly.

Drew Brewster burst down the left with space but was eventually hauled down and into touch by the covering Bulls full-back.

A penalty for Biggar off-side gave the visitors the first chance to open their account but the kick rebounded off the post.

Biggar hit back with Jordan Gray picking up at the back of the scrum on the Hamilton 10 metre line.

The big back row was strong and managed to off-load to Luhann Kotze after some close attention from the Bulls defence.

The scrum-half was just off balance and was unlucky not to touch down and the ball bobbled forward.

Hamilton cleared their lines from the scrum, no touch found, Biggar advance again, and with numbers.

Robbie Orr collected but the back line was too flat. The pass out wide missed everyone and the Hamilton left wing was switched on and kicked forward and won the foot race to score in the corner. The conversion was good, and Biggar were seven nil down.

Ali Steele hit back and landed a fine penalty kick and in the blink of an eye.

And right after the restart, Kotze and a little platoon of team mates combined down the right finding Robbie Orr in space to touch down in the corner.

Steele added the extras to bring the half-time score to 10-7.

If the first half was 'tit-for-tat' the second would be a quick-fire round in a game show, with most of the questions being asked of the Hamilton defence. Biggar would score another three tries in the second half.

An outrageous break on 38min by Jordan Gray found Orr who exploited the space left by the backtracking Bulls defence to run in under the posts. Steele accurate again with the conversion.

Colts came back at Hamilton again and displayed some good vision, keeping the heat on with six effective phases and switching the play. This structured approach found Matthew Stewart in support to make sure of another five points. Steele was on the mark again to convert.

Orr went in again to secure his hat-trick after Hamilton made a mistake at the back of their scrum. The fly-half sniped through leaving the Bulls defence flat footed.

Hamilton produced some very watchable play that broke the Biggar defence down.

It was too late in the day to change the outcome though but they added to their tally with a fine try and narrowed the points difference.