Biggar 45

Whitecraigs 24

Al Stewart at Hartree Mill

THERE was another five pointer for Biggar on Saturday as they ran in seven tries against Glasgow side Whitecraigs.

In reality this was pretty much the result that had been expected as Whitecraigs currently languish in second bottom spot of National Two.

In relatively bright conditions and with Scotland’s lady referee Alex Pratt in charge Biggar opened at a cracking pace, scoring a try through Euan Bogle after just five minutes.

Carne Green was not able to add the conversion from far out.

Whitecraigs hit back with a penalty from fullback Stephen Gillies but this was against the run of play.

And Biggar scored a second try after a patient build up when they retained possession through a number of phases.

There were a number of charges to the line - from Callum Braid, Notman and Green - before ball was whipped back left to Jamie Orr who crashed over.

Shortly after the restart Orr initiated a midfield break, his off-load finding Braid who set off for the line from 40 metres out.

A despairing tap tackle was all that prevented him from scoring and while a ruck spawned ball for Davy Reive who looked to most to have scored, Ms Pratt was not so convinced, awarding Biggar a scrum some five metres out instead.

Having made things really difficult for Whitecraigs from the scrum, Biggar pounced on the loose ball, Reive seeking out Ryan Moffat with what, to all intents and purposes was a crash ball, the centre crossing for another good score.

Green added the conversion and Biggar were 19-3 up.

Minutes later and Biggar claimed their four-try bonus point, the all-important try credited to Bogle who cleverly chased and won the race to his own kick.

Biggar were handling with some confidence which was great to see and which ended with their fifth try, this again following a kick and chase, this time from Aird Jardine who crossed virtually under the posts, and which Green converted.

The second period began with a much fresher Whitecraigs approach, all of the players buying into the run-it-from-everywhere approach and in sharp contrast to GHK last week.

Biggar managed to hold their line intact to begin with time but would eventually tell and this was the case as flanker Neil Alexander drove over from close range for a try which was converted by Gillies to make it 33-10.

Following a penalty award which was tapped and given to replacement Chris O’Donnell, there was really no way which Biggar could have employed to halt this giant’s charge for the line.

Needing no second invitation the big man crashed over for a try converted by Gillies for 33-17.

Biggar managed to sort themselves out a bit.

Having made 40 metres Moffat popped the ball to the ever-present Orr, who in turn fed Sanderson.

The flanker took the ball on and when eventually hauled down, found Jardine with a neat offload to go in close to the posts.

Green added the conversion for 40-17

Craigs responded with a try from Ross McDonald.

But the final try went fittingly to Orr who rounded off an excellent display with this his second score.

This weekend Biggar journey to Preston Lodge, a trip they have never relished and at which they have seldom triumphed.

Biggar: D. O’Connell, A. Orr, C. Braid, J. Orr, A. Peacock, A. Warnock, E. Sanderson, D. Notman, D. Reive, C. Green, A. Sinclair, R. Moffat, R. Lavery, E. Bogle, A. Jardine Reps: K. Robison, G. Kelly, R. Bradford, G. Stewart.